Sunday, September 23, 2012

Grape Stomp

Ever see that famous episode of I Love Lucy where she stomps grapes? As a kid I always thought that would be so much fun to do but being from the South I never thought they really did that anywhere. Maybe like Italy or something and maybe a long time ago, sure, but never once did I think they did that sort of thing where anyone could just go and do it. Then we moved to Temecula, CA (known for it's wineries) last year and I found out they did it all the time. Well, during the harvest season anyway. So earlier this year when I was making my list of things I wanted to do, I had to put grape stomping on it. I mean, who knows when I'll ever live somewhere with wineries again? September is harvest season around here and all the wineries are having their annual grape stomp festivals. This afternoon, Henry and I went to Mount Palomar Winery and gave grape stomping a go! I was a stomper, Henry was the mucker.

So what did I think about it? Well, it was fun. And sticky. And messy. And I'm not very good at it. But it definitely was fun and totally unlike anything I've ever done before. I don't think I ever realized how much juice a bunch of grapes can make. Can't say I was a fan of how head to toe sticky I was afterwards. Being sticky is one of my least favorite things. Always has been. Even now as I type, although I've already showered, I still feel sticky. I may have to shower again. When I was little my siblings used to taunt me when I complained about being sticky. They used to say "Sticky follows Beth, sticky follows Beth" and laugh at me. And I think they may be right.







No comments:

Post a Comment